“Institutions, Knowledge Diffusion and Economic Development“
September 28-29, 2023 – Cagliari (Italy)
VENUE: University of Cagliari
Deadline for submissions: June 10, 2023
The International Conference on “Institutions, Knowledge Diffusion and Economic Development”, jointly organized by the American Studies Center of Naples, University of Cagliari and CRENoS, will take place in-person in Cagliari (Italy) on September 28-29, 2023. Previous conferences organized by the American Studies Center have been held in Cosenza (2016), Naples (2017), Bari (2018), Matera (2019) and Caserta (2022).
Nicholas Charron (University of Gothenburg)
Rosina Moreno (University of Barcelona)
Andrés Rodríguez-Pose (London School of Economics)
This year conference aims at providing academics, policymakers and practitioners with a valuable forum for discussion on the role of institutions, public policies, technology, social and industrial relationships in shaping local economic development in a post-COVID world.
In the last years, the COVID-19 pandemic has severely affected local economies increasing unemployment, inequalities and uncertainty. At the same time, economic and social issues related to geopolitical risk, social cohesion and trust in government have emerged. To support recovery and improve future resilience of local economies, it is crucial to set up adequate responses by political, social and economic institutions and to rethink the role of technology.
Topics of interest include, but are not limited to:
- Technological change and productivity
- Innovation, entrepreneurship and local development
- Decentralization and efficiency of institutions
- Local economic development and the quality of institutions
- Public policies for a sustainable development of cities and regions
- Social relations and mobility
- Demographic change and migration
- Changes in the spatial distribution of economic activities
- Regional inequality